Friday 12 August 2011

Introduction to my new blog


I got into running about March in 2011. It all started with a new years resolution and health kick. I was 18 stone, I was out of breath constantly and I was tired all the time.
I started with a diet and then decided to swim for Marie Curie Cancer care in April. I swam 93 lengths and raised £642. This was a great achievement for me as I am not a good swimmer.
During this time I was running home after work. I would only run for about the distance or 4 or 5 lamp posts before I had to stop due to breathlessness. I think I was running faster than I needed to and didn't pace myself at the time.

It was then that a work colleague Steph asked me if I wanted to run with her after work. She was much more in the know of what to do than me. So we ran slow after work and I remember running my first mile and feeling good about it. I was now a runner!
I bought new shoes, shorts and t-shirts and finally a GPS watch to monitor my times. Running was becoming addictive and it really felt like it had changed my life quite a lot.

I am also a member of the Lordshill Road Runners. The training sessions with them have really improved my running even though I have only been a member for a short time. I had never really done any sprinting until the running club because I seemed to be focused on distance running. The more miles I ran the better I felt. I love to set goals and achieve them.
I have met really nice people at the running club too. It's always good to share your achievements with others who can appreciate them. I feel like I am really pushing myself and get the greatest satisfaction from this. The runners high!


I am still running all the time and i'm running an average of 30 miles a week now. I have ran in Two 10k races. Lordshill being my first and then Hengistbury 10K for the Dorset Blind Association. I have also ran in Two 5 mile races. Braishfield beer run. Which was my first ever race and The Sway 5 mile.
I have the Everton 10K coming up and I have already entered the Stockbridge 10K, the Hursley 10K and the 10 mile Great South Run.

I am looking forward to all of these races and hope to improve upon my times. I am happy to be running for the British Heart Foundation which was my first choice charity due to my Dad's heart operation Two years ago. I did promise to raise over £500 though.

Running has become my biggest addiction in my life with Skateboarding now being a very close second. I just love to run and take in views that the great outdoors has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment